The Toilet Board Coalition brings together some of the most forward-thinking organisations in the sanitation space: Firmenich, Kimberly-Clark, LIXIL Corporation and Unilever represent the business sector; Dr Val Curtis of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Barbara Evans of the University of Leeds bring academic rigour to the table; and a number of development sector and governmental bodies bring their one-of-a-kind resources and specialist knowledge: Agence Française De Développement; the Asian Development Bank; the UK’s Department for International Development; Stone Family Foundation; WaterAid; Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP); Water Supply & Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC); the World Bank’s Water and Sanitation Programme; the World Toilet Organization; Water and Sanitation for Africa; and UNICEF.
- FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management - by: EMary July 13, 2020This attachment is hidden for guests.Please log in or register to see it. Hello Dorothee, It looks like the JEM announcement board has been updated. Please find the call for paper attached here. Have asked the JEM about reposting the announcement. Best, Eva
- Sharing experiences on Inclusive Programming during the COVID-19 Pandemic - by: Chaiwe July 12, 2020Dear Liz, Thank you for your welcome message, it is wonderful to take on such an active role within this great community. I am glad you appreciated my inputs from Zambia. I am equally looking forward to what other inclusive approaches have come about around the world. It goes without saying that this COVID Pandemic has demanded the quickest responses in ma […]
- Sludge pumps with better valves? - by: Chaiwe July 10, 2020Dear Andrew, It is quite interesting to hear that your experiences in Nairobi were similar. I honestly think that the Gulper needs a lot of work before we can even begin to consider it as a workable option for pit-emptying within many Sub-saharan Countries that do not commonly use wet pits. Regarding the eVac and Flexcravator, both of which are compact mecha […]
- How to handle non-organic waste in pit latrines / Comment traiter les déchets dans les latrines à fosse? (English / French Webinar (11 March) and discussion) - by: Chaiwe July 9, 2020Dear Christian, It is interesting to see how the webinar addressed the two main issues surrounding Solid Waste Management in relation to pit-emptying. i.e technology and enforcement. It is also great to see Aubrey's contribution to this discussion. Might I add, that The Flexcrevator was tested within pits in Lusaka during a pit-emptying technology rapid […]
- Is handwashing with ash safe? - Does it kill any viruses? - by: KellyKBaker July 9, 2020I am glad to see this topic come up. I conducted the research in a paper cited earlier in this thread where we examined whether the likelihood of diarrhea was different for households relying on soap versus ash: Baker, K.K., Dil Farzana, F., Ferdous, F., Ahmed, S., Kumar Das, S., Faruque, A.S.G., Nasrin, D., Kotloff, K.L., Nataro, J.P., Kolappaswamy, K., Lev […]
- FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management - by: EMary July 13, 2020