Innovative monitoring tools such as the Qualitative Information System (QIS), sanitation ladders and SenseMaker® are being used in a programme that seeks to provide sustainable sanitation and hygiene services to almost 55 million people in Bangladesh.
- Simple application of fertilizing urine with the Solar-Dripper: example of calculation of equivalent nitrogen. - by: Robert74 June 5, 2020We are continuing testing in the garden this year with tomatoes, strawberries, garlic, corn, squash and potatoes. A new lasagna garden surface was created behind the warehouse with a free fertile soil. The fertilizing urine is applied with precision to the heart of the roots at a moderate rate to stay under 20 gramms of nitrogen per m². We will have corn, sq […]
- Sanitation worker, waste collector, manual scavenger - same thing? One, two or three Wikipedia articles? - by: Elisabeth June 5, 2020Thanks for pointing this out, Paresh. I agree with you that stormwater drainage cleaning is another task that sanitation workers may be involved with. Even if there was no wastewater in the stormwater drains, it's still part of sanitation - i.e. drainage being the "lesser known" part of sanitation, see also discussion about sanitation definiti […]
- Is handwashing with ash safe? - Does it kill any viruses? - by: Elisabeth June 5, 2020Thanks for the interesting forum posts. The word "lye" was new to me and I had to look it up. If others also didn't know what it is, here is a quick result from Google search: Turning your wood ash into lye for soap making It says there: Lye (sodium hydroxide) is formed when wood ash (which is mostly potassium carbonate) is mixed with water. T […]
- Make me a Change Agent: An SBC Resource for WASH, Agriculture, and Livelihoods activities - by: niweber June 4, 2020Dear all, I'm sharing with you the recently finalized Make me a Change Agent: An SBC Resource for WASH, Agriculture, and Livelihoods activities training manual available at : https://www.fsnnetwork.org/make-me-change-agent-sbc-resource-wash-agriculture-and-livelihoods-activities . This adapted Make Me a Change Agent (MMCA) training manual focuses o […]
- Let's discuss which definition of "sanitation" we think is the most useful one? (and edit the Wikipedia article accordingly) - by: kimmee22 June 4, 2020Sanitation is the hygienic means of preventing human contact from the hazards of waste to promote health and environmental integrity. It is generally used to refer to the provision of facilities and services for the safe disposal of human and faeces and urine. It can also be used to refer to the maintenance of hygienic conditions and healthy environments thr […]
- Simple application of fertilizing urine with the Solar-Dripper: example of calculation of equivalent nitrogen. - by: Robert74 June 5, 2020