Sanitation experts at IRC have compiled the first version of a reference guide on low-cost sanitation for non-sewered service models, SanPack for short. Dr Christine Sijbesma and Joep Verhagen have collected materials that cover services for all stages of the sanitation life cycle, from preparation activities to the emptying, recycling and productive use of toilet contents. Per stage you can find a short intro text and links that lead you to relevant documents on a specific topic.
- Compostable sanitary pads: a green solution in menstrual hygiene? - by: Chaiwe September 20, 2020How can I get hold of a pack of these for my own experience( here in Lusaka Zambia)? Have you done any research trials yet? If so what was the response from women who used the product? Chaiwe
- ‘Ensuring safe, healthy schools during and beyond COVID-19: the vital role of sustainable hygiene, water and sanitation services’ - by: Chaiwe September 20, 2020Hello Connie, Was this event recorded? I cannot find a link to it online. Are you able to highlight some of the discussions and also share a link to the recorded event here? There are some schools that would benefit from this i.e Kachele Trust School in Lusaka, Zambia among others. Here is an interesting topic they shared a while ago. In Lusaka all schools a […]
- Frequency of pooping at school or at work? - by: Chaiwe September 20, 2020Hello Rochelle, Many people find themselves clogged while they’re away from home (i think it happens to the best of us), often because we are uncomfortable pooping in unfamiliar bathrooms. But I would assume this is a lot to do with privacy issues and the condition of the toilet facilities in schools (Just my own observations from having worked for WASH in s […]
- Report on assessment of school sanitation in two Ghana villages - by: Linda2019 September 20, 2020Dear Chaiwe Thank you so much for your comments, and apologies it has taken us so long to respond. We are a volunteer-led charity riaisng funds for sanitation in the UK, and it has been holiday time etc. Yes, the high cost of installing EcoSan is a barrier to the wider use of this approach and something we are very conscious of. Dream Big Ghana NGO is depe […]
- SuSanA online meeting - your feedback? - by: paresh September 19, 2020Thank you Finn for posting a summary of lessons for the organisers. This was the first time I I attended SuSanA meeting and I could do it only because it was online. I hope going ahead, all sessions/meetings have an option to join online. I know for certain that academics in India do not have funding to attend conferences every year and such a model can remo […]
- Compostable sanitary pads: a green solution in menstrual hygiene? - by: Chaiwe September 20, 2020