The other innovation focuses on recycling of faecal sludge in the region’s on-site sanitation systems. Private emptying operators and government vacuum trucks regularly empty these containment systems, and the faecal sludge is transported for treatment to produce co-compost.
- Water Currents: WASH & Neglected Tropical Diseases - by: campbelldb January 26, 2021Dear Colleagues: Below is an excerpt from the Water Currents issue on WASH & NTDs and the complete issue is on the Globalwaters.org website . Events World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day, January 30, 2021 – World NTD Day brings together civil society advocates, community leaders, global health experts, and policymakers working across the diverse NTD lan […]
- Bamboo charcoal with urine shows us immediate effectiveness - by: paresh January 26, 2021I cross-posted this discussion on twitter and received an interesting video from S Vishwanath aka Zenrainman Prof. Dr. Srinivasamurty from GKVK, Bangalore explain the experiment to enrich biochar by soaking it with human urine. He discusses the process and also explains how they are trying to overcome alkaline nature of the mix and prevent loss of nitrogen […]
- Cultural and social challenges with using toilet-linked biogas technology - by: paresh January 26, 2021Hi Natalie!! This is an interesting area of work. If you are still looking to talk to people, I know an organisation that got a few hundred biogas linked toilets installed in a 4-5 towns in Kerala, India. Will be happy to get you in touch. An agri-entrepreneur whose family has been practicing organic farming for a couple of decades and using slurry from bio […]
- What ICT-based tools are being used for sanitation and waste management planning? - by: dorothee.spuhler January 26, 2021Hi Daniel We recently published a review of tools for sanitation system selection in the context of strategic environmental sanitation planning / city sanitation planning: https://doi.org/10.2166/washdev.2020.062 For this research, I looked into many other tools as well but I found little evidence that people actually use ICT tools because of a lack of acces […]
- 42nd WEDC International Conference: Equitable and Sustainable WASH Services (13-15 September 2021, online) - deadline for submission of abstracts: 15 March - by: SeanFurey January 26, 2021///English WEDC(Loughborough University, UK) will be organising their annual WASH conference online this year: 13-15 September 2021. THE CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS is now open and can be found here: http://wedc.lu/42-call-for-contributions IMPORTANT INFORMATION for authors and other contributors to download can be found here: http://wedc.lu/42-documents-and-te […]
- Water Currents: WASH & Neglected Tropical Diseases - by: campbelldb January 26, 2021