The FSM-MOOC will be launched on May 1 on Coursera. Please sign up for the course here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/faecal…. In May, all videos of the course will also be available on this YouTube-channel.
- How to handle non-organic waste in pit latrines / Comment traiter les déchets dans les latrines à fosse? (English / French Webinar (11 March) and discussion) - by: Chaiwe July 9, 2020Dear Christian, It is interesting to see how the webinar addressed the two main issues surrounding Solid Waste Management in relation to pit-emptying. i.e technology and enforcement. It is also great to see Aubrey's contribution to this discussion. Might I add, that The Flexcrevator was tested within pits in Lusaka during a pit-emptying technology rapid […]
- Is handwashing with ash safe? - Does it kill any viruses? - by: KellyKBaker July 9, 2020I am glad to see this topic come up. I conducted the research in a paper cited earlier in this thread where we examined whether the likelihood of diarrhea was different for households relying on soap versus ash: Baker, K.K., Dil Farzana, F., Ferdous, F., Ahmed, S., Kumar Das, S., Faruque, A.S.G., Nasrin, D., Kotloff, K.L., Nataro, J.P., Kolappaswamy, K., Lev […]
- How can I edit a Wikipedia article with or without having a Wikipedia login? And what about locked or protected articles? - by: Chaiwe July 9, 2020Dear Elisabeth, I find this post quite relevant even now, a couple of years since you posted it. I think it also accounts for a perfect 'i didn't know that' moment for many users on this forum. I often wondered who was behind the editing of Wikipedia articles. Turns out, this is something anyone who has access to Wikipedia can do so easily for […]
- COVID-19 and Water Utilities - Water Currents, July 9, 2020 - by: campbelldb July 9, 2020Dear Colleagues: Below is an excerpt from the latest Water Currents issue and the complete text is on the Globalwaters.org website: The COVID-19 pandemic is causing a financial crisis for water utilities as many of these service providers face drastic cuts in revenue and rising costs due to the pandemic. One report in this issue states that a survey by the W […]
- Is handwashing with ash safe? - Does it kill any viruses? - by: Chaiwe July 8, 2020This has been an interesting thread to read. Allow me to add that quite a good number of people in urban communities use soap either in its liquid or solid form, However, many communities in rural areas can not access or afford soap. The SAGE journal documents some research on handwashing practices in Bangladesh and elsewhere have actually shown that ash can […]
- How to handle non-organic waste in pit latrines / Comment traiter les déchets dans les latrines à fosse? (English / French Webinar (11 March) and discussion) - by: Chaiwe July 9, 2020