This issue contains some of the latest news and announcements about the role of entrepreneurs in providing water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and household energy products and services. This includes several winners of the Social Entrepreneurs 2012 award by the Schwab Foundation and USAID support for commercializing hand washing and establishing markets for cookstoves in Haiti. Also included is a link to cookstove market assessments by the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, which provide suggestions for removing barriers that prevent the creation of a cookstove market for more than 20 countries.
- Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please? - by: TeresaE January 18, 2019In case you haven't found the information you were looking for. We did a lot of research before we purchased our composting toilet. We went with the Nature's Head due to its ease of use and reviews that we saw regarding it. We used the following which helped as it outlines the pros and cons of the toilets. Composting Toilet Guide
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Correctional Facilities (Prisons) Is A Neglected Human Right. - by: muench January 18, 2019Dear Alisa, Yes, please share more photos and information about this case (prison in Northern Uganda (Nakapiritpirit)). Thanks. Was this an isolated, single project and how did it come about? Are there any moves to upscale this and implement this, or something similar, in other prisons in Uganda as well? What is the role of government in this project? Regard […]
- Hiring now ! Executive Secretary (Head of Secretariat) for the FSM Alliance - by: shobana January 18, 2019BORDA e.V. is looking for an Executive Secretary (Head of Secretariat) for the Faecal Sludge Management Alliance Who we are: The Bremen Overseas Research & Development Association (BORDA e.V.) is an expert-NGO specialising in sanitation. For 40 years now, our award-winning solutions empower people and set new standards in 25+ countries. What we do: BORDA […]
- Manual Scavenging - by: blevira January 18, 2019Dear Elizabeth, Apology for the late reply. I will share the study once I finalize it, I am happy to do so. Yes, in Tanzania we call it manual pit emptying and it is done by men titled frogmen ("vyura" in our language). This study is funded by DFID through HDIF. Regards,
- WG9: Please join the Honour Our Cleaners Campaign! - by: Carol McCreary January 17, 2019Hi everybody, Here's an update and some thoughts on the Honour Our Cleaners campaign. This very promising initiative was concieved by the World Toilet Organization and supported by SuSanA,. It launched quietly on World Toilet Day 2018 as a local initiative several places in the world. I am not sure that WTD is the optimal date for the campaign as so man […]
- Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please? - by: TeresaE January 18, 2019