Where it has been introduced, CLTS has been integrated with other development initiatives. Besides ending open defecation, the focus is on a more comprehensive package which includes wastewater management, solid waste disposal, overall hygiene and more. The approach has also been modified in some countries to ‘School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)’, whereby schools are the prime drivers in achieving ODF status. This has widened the spread of CLTS and its impact, both among adults and children. Plan, Water Aid and UNICEF have become important disseminators and champions of CLTS. Today, it is present in many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, it has taken root in 28 countries and gained the support of decision makers and professionals, who have recognised it as a successful, cost-effective approach and have issued a declaration to urge governments to take more decisive steps to ensure ODF environments among local communities.
- Re: Solicitation for Manual Pump Testing Partners - by: awhitesell August 15, 2018Hi Alice, While I was contracted by the foundation, lab and field testing identified a couple failure modes that were deemed critical. After my contract ended, the foundation continued with the development but I don't have any insights into what has been accomplished. You will need to contact the foundation for more details. I have been working on a new […]
- Lining unlined pit latrines - by: muench August 15, 2018Dear Alice, In my role as moderator I have moved your post into this existing thread. If you scroll up you'll see some responses to a similar question that Esther had posed. Please let us know if you find the information provided useful and if you have follow-up questions. Also, if you find more pit lining options yourself, please do share them in this […]
- The Emergency WASH Google Group - by: campbelldb August 15, 2018Dear Colleagues: The August 15, 2018 biweekly update of the Emergency WASH Google Group has: - new member updates - updates from the Global WASH Cluster - recent Emergency WASH publications - upcoming training events The biweekly update is posted on Sanitation Updates .
- Lining unlined pit latrines - by: AliceCellamare August 15, 2018Hello everybody, does anyone know about any work that has been done about possible techniques for tranforming an unlined pit into a lined one? Did anyone try to do so? What challenges were encountered and what was done in the end? I will be grateful for any (also indirectly correlated) information. Greetings, Alice
- Flushless toilets in Australia - by: mutua August 15, 2018May you share experience on how these flushless toilets may be used at a large scale in an urban setting and especially from the point of view of public sector management ? How accessible would they be in terms of cost and acquisition by an interested individual ?
- Re: Solicitation for Manual Pump Testing Partners - by: awhitesell August 15, 2018